Labour was last night accused of using the courts against the British people after a judge ruled asylum seekers can stay in a migrant hotel.
In a victory for the Home Office, the Court of Appeal overturned an injunction ordering the removal of migrants from the Bell Hotel in Epping, Essex.
MPs and the local council reacted furiously, with Reform leader Nigel Farage saying illegal migrants now had more rights than Britons under Sir Keir Starmer.
The Tories said Labour was ‘using the courts against the British public’, while Epping Forest District Council said it was ‘not the end of the matter’.
Last night anger began building outside the hotel at news of the ruling. After weeks of protest, the council obtained a temporary court order to stop 138 asylum seekers being housed there.
The council said the owners of the three-star hotel had breached planning rules by using it as accommodation for small-boat migrants.
Somani Hotels, which owns the establishment, and the Home Office challenged the injunction.
The three Court of Appeal judges said last week’s decision by High Court judge Mr Justice Eyre was ‘seriously flawed’.

In a victory for the Home Office, the Court of Appeal overturned an injunction ordering the removal of migrants from the Bell Hotel (pictured) in Epping

Anger was brewing last night as groups of protestors (pictured) gathered at the hotel following the ruling

Reform leader Nigel Farage (pictured) said illegal migrants now had more rights than Britons under Sir Keir Starmer
Lord Justice Bean, sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies and Lord Justice Cobb, said: ‘We conclude that the judge made a number of errors in principle, which undermine this decision.
‘The judge’s approach ignores the obvious consequence that the closure of one site means capacity needs to be identified elsewhere.’
Lord Justice Bean added that such an injunction ‘may incentivise’ other councils to take steps similar to those taken by Epping.
Lawyers for Home Secretary Yvette Cooper had argued that shutting the hotel would set a ‘dangerous precedent’ which would have encouraged similar litigation by other councils.
Mr Farage claimed the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) had been ‘used’ by the Government ‘against the people of Epping’.
Tory leader Kemi Badenoch told the Daily Mail that Sir Keir ‘speaks from both sides of his mouth’.
‘He says he wants to close migrant hotels yet went to court to keep them open. He promised to smash the gangs but Britain now has record small-boat arrivals. How on earth can we trust this man?.’
Shadow Home Secretary Chris Philp said the Epping case had ‘seen the Labour Government using the courts against the British public’.



Lord Justice Bean (left), sitting with Lady Justice Nicola Davies (centre) and Lord Justice Cobb (right), said: ‘We conclude that the judge made a number of errors in principle, which undermine this decision’

Protesters (pictured) marched towards the Bell Hotel on Friday evening, waving England flags and Union Jacks

Lawyers for Home Secretary Yvette Cooper (pictured) had argued that shutting the hotel would set a ‘dangerous precedent’
He added: ‘The Government even brazenly said in court that the rights of illegal immigrants were more important than the rights of local people.
‘The numbers in asylum hotels were dropping fast before the election – but have risen since because Labour has lost control of our borders.’
Shadow Justice Secretary Robert Jenrick called the ruling ‘extremely disappointing’ as he urged councils to still take action to close asylum hotels in their areas.
He said: ‘Yvette Cooper’s decision to put two fingers up to the legitimate anger of the British public will surely inspire even more protests across the country. People are fed up with the Government siding with illegal migrants over the British people.’
Epping council said it was ‘deeply disappointed’ by the ruling, which had led to ‘doubt and confusion’.
Refugee Council chief executive Enver Solomon said while the Government was successful in its appeal, the reality of using hotels to house asylum seekers was ‘untenable’ and called for refugees to be housed in neighbourhoods.
He said: ‘Waiting until 2029 to end their use is no longer an option. As long as hotels remain open, they will continue to be flashpoints for protest.’
Border security minister Dame Angela Eagle said: ‘We inherited a chaotic asylum accommodation system costing billions.

Shadow Justice Secretary Robert Jenrick (pictured) called the ruling ‘extremely disappointing’ as he urged councils to still take action to close asylum hotels in their areas

A protester (pictured) was seen holding a St George’s Cross outside the Court of Appeal this afternoon
‘This government will close all hotels by the end of this Parliament and we appealed this judgment so hotels like the Bell can be exited in a controlled and orderly way that avoids the chaos of recent years that saw 400 hotels open at a cost of £9million a day.’
Epping’s legal challenge followed a series of protests outside the hotel amid accusations of sexual assault regarding two men being housed there.
Some protests involved clashes with police, resulting in six men being charged with violent disorder, two of whom have pleaded guilty. Two residents of the Bell Hotel have been charged with sexual assault.
Essex Police were anticipating trouble last night, with as many as four marked vans parked on the hotel’s forecourt from early in the afternoon, and ten officers standing outside. Migrants had reportedly been advised to stay inside.
Within minutes of the judges’ decision, local Conservative councillor Shane Yerrell arrived at the hotel.
He said: ‘This decision is disgusting. I’ve just been on the phone with the father of the girl whose sexual assault case involving one of the migrants has been in court this week.

There have been fresh protests (pictured) outside the Bell Hotel in Epping this week prior to today’s ruling
‘This decision is disgusting for them. Local mums and dads want the hotel closed – as the first judgment said.’
The number of protesters outside the hotel was growing by 5pm, with new arrivals including ‘pink ladies’ great-grandmother-of-five Shirley Mooney, 68, alongside her neighbour and fellow grandmother Carmen MacDonald, 60.
Both were wearing T-shirts with ‘The only way is Epping’ on the front – and ‘Send them home, protect our kids’ on the back.
Ms Mooney worked in the Bell as a manager until 1998, said of the latest judgment: ‘I am absolutely disgusted. It’s horrific, a joke.
‘Whose side are these judges on? They need the sack. As soon as we heard the news, we came down here to show our support. We won’t stop.’
The only person here celebrating the judgment last night was a migrant resident.
Advised by staff not to speak or leave his room, he texted your reporter to say of the judges’ decision: ‘I am pleased. ‘It had been a worry.’