Sunday, August 31, 2025
HomeSPORTFootball fan STORMS into dressing room and sparks altercation with players before...

Football fan STORMS into dressing room and sparks altercation with players before being restrained as non-league club release strong statement


Chester Football Club have issued a strong statement after a fan forced their way into the team’s dressing room and had to be restrained.

The incident occurred on Saturday after Chester lost 2-1 away at Worksop Town in the National League North, in the sixth tier of English football.

The supporter was described as verbally abusive before sparking a physical confrontation, which was diffused by players and club staff.

Reacting to the incident, the club said: ‘Chester Football Club condemns the behaviour of an individual who instigated a serious confrontation at the end of today’s match at Worksop Town.

‘This individual was verbally abusive before being able to gain access to the tunnel area, where he entered the away changing room, initiating a physical altercation where he had to be restrained by players and staff.

‘Club officials have been able to identify the individual involved and he will be banned from attending future Chester fixtures.

Chester FC made a statement condemning a fan who stormed the first-team's changing room

Chester FC made a statement condemning a fan who stormed the first-team’s changing room

Who do you think will win?

Liverpool

Liverpool

Arsenal

Arsenal

*18+, excludes NI. Terms and conditions apply

‘We acknowledge it has been a disappointing start to the season and as a fan-owned club, we will always defend and respect supporters’ right to ask questions and criticise.

‘However, as a club we do not believe vile abuse, personal attacks, and physical threats are warranted under any circumstances, and have a zero-tolerance policy for such behaviour.’

This latest incident comes just over two years after Chester banned eight fans indefinitely for violent disorder during a play-off semi-final defeat against Brackley Town.

On that occasion, supporters invaded the pitch, threw smoke bombs and tried to storm the away end, while coaches were damaged outside the stadium.

Brackley’s then-manager Gareth Dean branded the scenes a ‘disgrace’ and said children had been left ‘petrified for their safety’.

Chester later apologised, insisting the culprits did not reflect the values of the club.

The club also made headlines in December 2024 when lifelong supporter Andrew Hewitt died the day after allegedly making a racist gesture towards Warrington Town midfielder Bohan Dixon during a National League North match.

An inquest earlier this year heard Hewitt, 52, took his own life hours after discovering he faced a police investigation and possible football ban.

A note found at his home in Flint expressed his remorse, while his family said the behaviour had been ‘completely out of character’. The coroner recorded a conclusion of suicide, describing the case as a ‘very tragic loss in very extreme, difficult circumstances’.

Saturday’s flashpoint followed a frustrating afternoon for Chester, who had taken the lead against Worksop through Connell Rawlinson shortly after half-time only to lose 2-1 courtesy of goals from Aaron Martin and Luke Waterfall.

Defeat leaves Chester with seven points from their opening six matches of the season. They are already nine points adrift of early National League North leaders South Shields, having lost last season’s play-off final to Scunthorpe.

Chester FC formed in 2010 following the liquidation of Chester City.



RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments